Hi everyone! Happy New Year! I'm sorry I've been MIA... I got a new position at work that has me working every day so it's been a little difficult for me to find some time to myself. Now that I'm back, I'll be blogging more often. We've been getting tons of snow in recent weeks, which has been hindering me from going to the gym since I have to drive. I've been trying to find some alternatives to my lack of exercise and motivation by working out at home and eating healthier, but I have a huge problem with drinking juices. I love juices, lemonade, iced tea, and other sugary drinks (I'm notorious for drinking a trenta-sized Valencia Orange energizer or a Passion Tea Lemonade - sweetened with classic and 3 pumps raspberry). As juice can be good for you, the amount of sugar manufacturers put into these drinks are not. A friend of mine gave me the perfect solution to this sugary problem.
He gave me his own concoction of "detox water," which was fresh water infused with various fruits and vegetables. I found it refreshing and light, as it wasn't sweet but was satisfying to my palate. I was always a fan of water with lemon, so I took his recipe and tweaked it to my liking and found that it worked well for me. Here's what I did.
- 1 gallon Spring Water
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced with skin
- 1 medium sliced cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green tea, cooled
- 1 kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves
Place all fruits and vegetables in a large pitcher and mix. Let sit for at least 1 hour for the water/green tea mixture to saturate into the fruit. Honey or agave nectar can be added for sweetening. Serve cold and enjoy!
This water is not only good for you, but also serves many benefits towards your health. Water is used to hydrate a person... after all, our bodies are made of 50-75% of water! Drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day can detoxify your system alone as a diuretic by flushing out all the toxins in your kidneys and keep your body energized throughout the day. However, every other fruit or vegetable you add to your water will only intensify the benefits.
- Lemon: The lemon in the water not only gives Vitamin C to boost your immune system, but curbs your appetite as well. Lemons also help the liver by dissolving uric acid and other toxins in the system. It can also increase peristalsis in the bowels, creating movement and eliminating waste.
- Kiwi: Kiwis are not only rich in Vitamin C, but also contain phytonutrients and antioxidants that help protect DNA. These types of fruits typically help protect a person from having problems in the future, such as respiratory problems. The vitamins also help boost the human immune system.
- Mint: Mint is a stimulant that activates the digestive enzymes that absorb nutrients from food and consume fat and turn it into consumed energy.
- Strawberry: Strawberries contain antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory phytonutrients that help with osteoarthritis, asthma, and atherosclerosis. Increased intake of strawberries can also decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes. Strawberries also contain nitrates, which help increase blood flow throughout the body for increased weight loss while exercising.
- Green Tea: Green tea is also extremely high in antioxidants but also is the ultimate fat burner because it melts the fat off the body. It also increases metabolism by at least 4%.
- Cucumber: This particular vegetable also reduces uric acid in the liver while stabilizing blood pressure. It also supplies magnesium, potassium, and silicon into the body, revitalizing the skin.
I've been drinking this water for the past week and I've been feeling more energized myself. Don't believe me? Try it out for yourself and let me know how you feel. Until next time!